Hidden away in the heart of the Kashmir region of the Indian Karakoram Himalaya sits the isolated mountain resort of Gulmarg. High above the city of Srinagar, deep in the heart of the mountains and surrounded by the political unrest of the Indian and Pakistan borders, a solitary cabin lift provides 1000m of vertical access to a high ridgeline that spans several kilometers. This ridgeline, at over 4000m above sea level, in turn provides access to a huge expanse of amazingly steep vertical descent and in good conditions provides some of the greatest lift/hike accessed Freeriding to be found on the planet.
Huge open powder fields, tight couloirs, windlips and rock drops litter the 1000m face. A ride down or a hike up the ridgeline opens the doors to evermore terrain and then out the back you have Splitboarders paradise with endless hike accessed terrain. Below the lift lines lie the dream forrests, huge tree lined descents run down into the lower valleys for lunch in a tea shop and from where a 4x4 pick up returns you to the resort above. It was here in these woodlands that on my last trip we saw a Snow leopard, apparently not uncommon in these parts.
We reside in the colonial style Highland Park hotel where wooden cabins, heated by wood burners provide our sleeping quarters. Meals are somewhat Spicy and an all you can eat style affair and a huge traditional style lounge provides communal quarters where a, somewhat slow and overloaded internet, wifi service can be found.
Life in India is very different from life back home, a mixture of confused chaos seems to keep things running smoothly and almost efficiently, but a relaxed attitude is needed, especially with regards the lift opening times and patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to accessing the mountains. Relax, enjoy the vibe and remember... all good things come to those that wait or walk!
All in all the Kashmir trip is way more than just a Snowboard trip, it is an adventure to a foreign land, a journey, a different cultural experience and a voyage of discovery that will be in your memories for ever...It just so happens that you might get some of the most amazing Freeriding thrown in for good measure...
Bring it on!
- Day 1 - International flight to Delhi, need to arrive in Delhi at no later than 9:20am Friday (international flights are not included in price)
- Day 2 - Friday morning, Internal flight to Srinagar from Delhi at 12:20 midday and transfer from Srinagar to Highland Park Hotel in Gulmarg.
- Day 3 - Riding and Familiarisation with Mountain and avalanche safety procedures.
- Day 4 - Freeriding Gulmarg style.
- Day 5 - Freeriding Gulmarg style.
- Day 6 - Freeriding Gulmarg style.
- Day 7 - Freeriding Gulmarg style.
- Day 8 - Freeriding Gulmarg style.
- Day 9 - Freeriding Gulmarg style followed by afternoon transfer to Srinagar, spend the night on a house boat on lake Dal.
- Day 10 - Internal flight to Delhi and International flight departures.
- Internal flights (return) from Delhi to Srinagar and return transfers from Srinagar to Gulmarg mountain resort.
- 7 days on snow Backcountry Guidance with fully qualified ISIA Snowboard Teacher and UIAGM Mountain Guide Neil McNab (rato 1:6).
- Avalanche safety, search and rescue training.
- All Lift passes and transfers in Gulmarg mountain resort.
- Halfboard accomodation at the Highland Park hotel.
- One night on a house boat on Dal Lake.
Price does not include:
- International Flights to and from Delhi.
- Accomodation in Delhi if needed.
- Airport transfers in Delhi
- Personal Snowboard and mountain safety equipment.
- Personal insurance/travel insurance.
- Midday meals and on hill snacks.
Our Kashmir Splitboard course is for Advanced snowboarders with previous Splitboard experience. A very good level of fitness and a minimum of 8 weeks riding experience is recommended.
For safety reasons ‘Riders unable to meet the required criteria for their chosen course may be unable to complete that course at the discretion of the course leader’. For more information on course requirements please read our Choosing a Course & Course Prerequisits section.