Every Winter, more and more Snowboarders are feeling the powerful pull of the Backcountry terrain that lies beyond the boundaries of the patrolled Ski area.
This NEW 4 day High Mountain Skills course is designed to teach those that have felt the pull of the High Mountains, but feel they lack the skills and awareness to safely venture out amongst the High Peaks or feel they need to better their skills in order to further their progression.
During this 4 day course we will look at how to analyze the dangers posed by the Mountains terrain above, below and immediately beneath our feet.
We will take a close look at the Snowpack and learn to recognize the signs and the clues that can tell us of the dangers around us.
We will look at Avalanche awareness, avoidance and search and rescue techniques.
We will look at the rope work needed for safe glacier travel, including Crevasse rescue techniques and the rope work needed for safe passage up and down the mountain in steep terrain.
Splitboard touring around the Chamonix Backcountry – Avalanche search and rescue training – Terrain analysis and Avalanche awareness training.
Splitboard touring around the Chamonix Backcountry – Snowpit analysis, Safe terrain and route finding – Group management techniques.
Splitboard touring around the Chamonix Backcountry – Safe Glacier travel and awareness training – Crevasse rescue training.
Splitboard touring around the Chamonix Backcountry – Rope work for ascending and descending steep terrain – Belay anchors, Snow, Ice and Rock.
- 4 days on snow Guidance and Training with UIAGM Mountain Guide Neil McNab (ratio 1:6).
- Jones Solution Splitboard – (we will need stance details from each participant).
- Ortovox avalanche safety equipment and avalanche search and rescue training using the Ortovox 3+ transciever.
- Crevasse rescue and rope technique training for glacier travel.
- All Backcountry access (hiking poles not included) equipment including Splitboard and training.
- Transport to and from the mountain.
- Lift pass
- Flights (nearest airport is Geneva)
- Airport transfers
- Personal insurance
- Personal snowboarding equipment, hiking poles and backpack capable of carrying your board (25L minimum)
The High Mountain Skills course caters for Advanced Snowboarders beyond technique. A good fitness level and a minimum of 5 to 6 weeks riding experience is recommended.
Fitness level 4
Fitness level 4
Some Itinaries may only be accessible by heli drop (not included).
Splitboards will be used for touring.
Itineries can change due to conditions at the discretion of the Guide.
For safety reasons ‘Riders unable to meet the required criteria for their chosen course may be unable to complete that course at the discretion of the course leader’. For more information on course requirements please read our Choosing a Course & Course Pre-requisits section.