The Lofted islands are a 100km long chain of steeply sided mountainous islands that pierce the Norwegian sea on the North West tip of Norway’s chaotic coast line.
Deep with in the Arctic circle, these Isolated Islands have a solid reputation for deep powder, narrow couloirs and steep descents and with no lift access, this is the perfect destination for those with the need for Adventure, a desire for the steeps and overflowing with the pure natural spirit of the Arctic Splitboard explorer.
Also hidden within this archipelago of Islands and fjords is the beautiful Unstad Bay, which just happens to be one of Norway’s most famous and consistent Surf breaks, offering up the odd afternoon surf session or bad weather lay day action for both beginners and season pro’s alike.
If you’ve not Surfed before and fancy giving it a try, the crew at Arctic Surf Unstad will get you out in the line-up fully prepped to catch your first wave.
If you’re an experienced wave addict, the friendly locals will welcome you out into the bay, and with lefts, rights and peaks peeling all over the place, you’ll find more than enough waves to quench your appetite.
If you don’t have your own, Surf kit can be hired through Arctic Surf who’s quality wetsuits will keep you comfy even in the Icy waters of the Norwegian sea.
This really is the ultimate Arctic Splitboard (with the option of a quick Surf) Adventure!
Avalanche search and rescue refresher – Splitboard Touring.
There is the option to Surf at Unstad Bay if the weather is bad in the mountains or the waves are firing!
- 6 days on snow Guidance with fully qualified ISIA Snowboard Teacher and UIAGM Mountain Guide Neil McNab (ratio 1:6).
- Return transfers to the Lofoten Ski Lodge.
- 7 nights twin room Fullboard accommodation in the lofoten Ski Lodge.
- Daily transport to and from the mountain.
- Flights to and from Harstad (via Oslo).
- Personal Snowboard equipment (use of a McNab JONES ‘SOLUTION’ Splitboard is possible, but an excess baggage handling fee of £180 will be charged).
- Backcountry access and mountain safety equipment is not included.
- Surf equipment is not provided but can be hired at Ustad Arctic Surf as needed.
Our Backcountry Voyager Lofoten Split & Surf trip caters for Advanced Backcountry Snowboarders with previous Splitboard experience.
Fitness level 5
Fitness level 5
A very good fitness level and a minimum of 8 weeks riding experience is recommended.
For safety reasons ‘Riders unable to meet the required criteria for their chosen course may be unable to complete that course at the discretion of the course leader’.
For more information on course requirements please read our Choosing a Course & Course Prerequisits section.